Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Thursday Thirteen - My Favorite Songs - 5th Edition

13 of my Favorite Songs in random order.

This is actually really hard. I love music and there are so many songs that I love.

1. Black - Pearl Jam - God damn I love this song. I love everything Pearl Jam. His voice, the words, the depth of the songs. The last line in particular gots me everytime. There was a time in my life when I played that line over and over. “I know one day you’ll have a beautiful life, I know be a star in someone else’s skye, why (especially this word) can’t it be me?


2. Like the way I do - Melissa Etheridge - There is nothing I don’t like of Melissa’s but this song really spoke to me. I love the grainy, tough, strong quality in her voice but in this song in particular you can feel the passion, hurt, anger, you feel when you just want someone so bad but have to compete with someone else.


3. The River - Bruce Springsteen - God damn I love this song. Springsteen rocks and always will. This song is so friggin good. It is hard to pick a favorite of Springsteen’s work. His words are strong, sexy, meaningful and full of life. Love him. Simply the BOSS.


4. Round Here - Counting Crows- I played this Cassette until it was unplayable. What is not to love? My name is in the song and who doesn’t want to hear someone say, “she’s always on my mind”? Ahhh…if only.


5. With Arms Wide Open - Creed - With songs like What’s This Life For (close tie for favorite Creed song), My Sacrifice, Torn, My Own Prison, What if, One Last Breath it is nearly impossible to pick a favorite. I love the singer’s voice, the words, the meaning of the songs. I had high hopes for this band. I found the singer and the guitar player grrr…sexy as hell but like most awesome bands they crashed and burned and all I have left are a few great songs. This song in particular speaks of when he first heard he was going to have a son and what he wished for his son. I sang this song to my belly when I was expecting my son.


6. Boy’s of Summer - Don Henley - One of the best songs ever written. I get such warm feelings when I hear this song. I reminds me of quiet moments on warm summer days, riding in a car, wind in my hair, heading back from the beach.

7. Crash - Dave Matthews - Such a friggin sexy song. Dave is the bomb. I’ll crash into him any day!

8. If -Bread- One of my favorite songs to sing. It is simply beautiful and it reminds me of my childhood. This was on the radio all the time in 1971.

9. Space Between - Dave Matthews - Dave sings words I would pay to hear someone say to me. “You cannot quit me so quicky, Will I hold you again” and my favorite, “Take my hand because we’re walking out of here.” A wet Dave playing a guitar in the video doesn’t hurt either.



10. Weekend in New England by Barry Manilow is just a beautiful song. It is really hard to pick a Manilow favorite for me because well, I love MANILOW. The music is beautiful as most Manilow songs are but it is the lyrics in this one that I love. It makes me tear up everytime.


When will our eyes meet

When can I touch you

When will this strong yearning end

And when will I hold you again



11. Lonestar is another band that just has some heartwrenching songs. I am all about the heart. Take care of my heart and you have me for life. So when I first heard Amazed, I was hooked. Who wouldn't want someone to say these things to them just once in life?


12. Foo Fighters are another band that I love most everything from but my favorite would probably be Everlong or Hero, or Best of You. OK, I guess it would be Everlong. Such a great song.

Breathe out

So I can breathe you in



13. Edge of Seventeen- Stevie Nicks - I adore Stevie and Fleetwood Mac so actually picking a favorite is like asking me to chose a favorite between my children(Sara, Dreams, The Chain, Leather and Lace, Landslide, Rhiannon, Edge of Seventeen). Impossible! Edge with it’s guitar intro and Stevie’s flowing shawl still gives me chills. Growing up in the 70’s circa 1975 every girl wanted to be Stevie. We wanted her hair, we wanted to dress like her, sound like her, she was the S-H-I-T. One regret for me is that I have never seen her in concert. She is one hot, talented chick, one of the best female song writers of all time and she still rocks. For me, she is the VOICE of the 70’s and the original Goddess.



The clouds…never expect it…
when it rains
But the sea changes colours…
but the sea…
Does not change
And so…with the slow…graceful flow..
of age
I went forth…with an age old…
desire…to please
On the edge of…seventeen

This is Stevie to me!!



For More Thursday Thirteen head on over here

4 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of your picks, but in particular I have to say Don Henley's Boys of Summer. It's one of those songs that I think is actually quite rare, where every aspect of it fits together so perfectly, and the music suits the words and the mood. I can almost SMELL last summer when I hear that song.

    My T13 is here, if you feel like stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love Stevie Nicks. Great list.
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:42 AM

    Ah that Don Henley song.... *drifts off thinking about driving, sunglasses on, windows open....* LOVE that song!

    PS: I noticed your blog address and wonder... do you often have to end spelling your last name as "no E on the end?" It's actually my maiden last name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:09 PM

    Great picks. I like With eyes wide open too and If by Bread, oh my God it brings back great memories!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to talk to you further