Monday, March 20, 2006

We are Paci Free - Yippy

March 3rd we took away my son's beloved pacifier (we also took away his sisters - not that she loved hers). Up until four months ago he only took it when going to sleep. We started using it more as a way to reward him for using his words. When he asked for it by name it was hard not to say "yes." The paci sat on the counter for three days, when he asked for it we would tell him it was on the counter. He would put it in his mouth, I would say "Yucky" and he would put it back down. Two days later I took the pacifier off the counter. We went through some really hard, crazy, times. Jesse would cry for his "paci" all the time. I wasn't sure how long it would take but knew it would be tough. I am proud to say that it has been 4 days since he has asked for it! I vowed that he would not turn 3 with a pacifier. We are 2 months away from his birthday and we are done!
(Last picture of Jesse with "paci")























Saturday I heard him say the word "paci." My heart clenched, my stomach turned and I looked to see what he was up to. He had found an old hospital "paci" in his sister's basket of baby toys. He was trying to put it into her mouth. She crawled away and he came to me. Holding it up in his little hand he said, "paci" I said, "yes, you are right that is a paci. Yuck! Throw it away. Kaka!" He said, "kaka" and ran to throw it into the garbage.

Ahhh..angels sing and I beam.



















Next step, potty training...



2 comments:

  1. Congrats on breaking the paci habit!! I know that can be a big one.. I guess it's a good thing Faith never wanted one, even when I wanted her to take one (I think they're cute).

    Good luck on the potty training, I'm completely lost right now on that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dreading the day that Pootie has to go away. My 2 y/o only uses it for sleeping, but it's like a traumatic experience if it falls out of the crib in the middle of the night...

    (She claims she'll trade it for a Dora bike...we'll see if she holds true to her word)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to talk to you further